George C. Dorman Joins Seminary Board of Regents
George C. Dorman has joined the Saint Vincent Seminary Board of Regents. He was elected an executive vice president of Westinghouse Electric Corp. in December 1988.
Mr. Dorman has been a vice president of Westinghouse since 1983 and was appointed vice president, human resources, in January 1988. In his current assignment, Mr. Dorman is responsible for all human resources matters at Westinghouse and for the Corporation’s Total Quality effort, including direction of the Westinghouse Productivity and Quality Center.
Mr. Dorman received a Bachelor of Science degree from Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1950 and joined Westinghouse as a student engineer that year. He advanced through a series of professional and managerial positions to become, in 1964, a group purchasing director. In 1971, he attended Harvard Business School’s advanced management program and was appointed general manager of the Electric Stairway and Hydraulic Elevator Division. In 1975 he was appointed director of human resources and strategic planning for the Construction Group, and in 1979, he became general manager of the Transportation Business Unit. In 1981, he was named director of human resources operations for the Corporation.
He served as vice president and general manager of the Motor Business Unit from 1983 to 1986 and vice president for corporate quality from mid-1986 to December 1987. He retired from Westinghouse in 1992.
Active in Pittsburgh-area community affairs, Mr. Dorman is a director of the South Hills Health System, Blue Cross of Western Pennsylvania; the Central Blood Bank of Pittsburgh; and the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation.
Mr. Dorman and his wife, Eileen reside in Upper Saint Clair, are the parents of five children. They have been longtime supporters of Saint Vincent Seminary, establishing the George and Eileen Dorman Fund to provide assistance to seminarians, with preference given to international students with financial need who are sponsored by Saint Vincent Archabbey.